Skinks Poisonous

Are Skinks Poisonous To Dogs? Everything You Need To Know

Skinks are quite common in various parts of the world – from Australia and New Zealand to Canada and the USA. They are quite secretive and not that easy to find, especially as they like to hide. These reptiles tend to live close to urban areas. As they often come out in the daytime, they could be easily spotted by domestic dogs around parks or forests. Whether your dog feels like a hunter or it is just super curious, skinks will definitely represent an attraction.

The way skinks move is attractive. The way they look and their speed is just as interesting. Your dog will chase and try to understand what kind of creature that is. As a direct consequence, some dogs may bite or eat skinks. They might as well end up with the tail or perhaps the poop. Sure, careful attention is mandatory – after all, skinks are not aggressive and should not be killed. But then, what happens if your dog accidentally eats one? Are skinks poisonous to dogs?

Eutropis carinata

Can your dog eat skinks?

Dogs are likely to bite or eat most of the things they can. Some of them will also go for skinks if they have the opportunity. In many situations, dogs will chase skinks. However, if they grab the tail, it will come off. It will still wiggle, letting the skink escape. This is the main defense mechanism in lizards. The dog will still be distracted by the tail, which looks alive. Meanwhile, the animal can hide, go underground or climb on a tree to escape.

While such cases are rare, some skinks could retaliate if they feel pressured. They might as well bite your dog. There is not much to worry about, as skink bites are not very strong. Sure, they may leave a mark and break the skin at times – it depends on the dog and breed too. But then, these lizards are more likely to just try to escape. They can climb trees extremely quickly and can sense danger before it gets close, so biting back is a rare thing.

The good news is there are no venomous species of skink in the world. So, are skinks poisonous to dogs? Not really. No matter where you live, skinks cannot really deliver a poisonous bite to a dog, regardless of the dog’s breed or size. Now, how about a dog that eats a skink? Can the skink become poisonous if your dog eats it? Are there any potential issues?

 

Are skinks poisonous to dogs if eaten?

Generally speaking, skinks are not poisonous if eaten. But then, your dog can still get ill. For instance, many lizards carry salmonella and all kinds of parasites. When ingested, these problematic microorganisms will reach your dog’s body and can cause all kinds of problems. Salmonella is known to cause crams, pains, diarrhea, lethargy and vomiting. You will also notice a lack of appetite. Get in touch with the vet for a treatment.

Liver flukes do not really represent a possibility either. Liver flukes are some type of worms – parasites – that tend to affect cats, rather than dogs. They are less likely to target dogs, but the issue is still worth being mentioned. If your dog acts strangely, get in touch with the vet and tell them what happened.

Overall, are skinks poisonous to dogs? No, they are not. They are not toxic when ingested and they are not poisonous, regardless of the species.

What happens if your dog eats a skink?

Ideally, you should not let your dog eat skinks. They will not benefit from them and it is simply not worth killing another animal for your dog’s entertainment. This is why you have to keep an eye on your dog and ensure they will not attack other beings. Now, if unexpected situations do arise and your dog does eat a skink, your furry friend will most likely vomit it up. This is the most common outcome.

In some cases, the skink could be ingested. A bacterial infection is the worst possible thing that could happen. Your dog is less likely to die and it will not get poisoned – choking could be an issue though.

 

Conclusion

So, are skinks poisonous to dogs? No, they are not, but they can still cause various issues – from choking and bacterial infections to parasites. A skink is less likely to cause any lasting and problematic effects though, yet there are no doubts that it should be discouraged.​

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top